We take privacy really seriously. In fact, both the Owl and the Bee are quite private themselves, and we know you surely feel the same. We want to assure you that we aren't in the business of maliciously tracking you, hoarding your personal details, or trying to profit from your private data - not only because it's not what we do, but it's pretty rude, don't you think?
However, there are some things we inevitably need to collect from you in order for us to provide this shop, and to help us improve so we can continue to come up with amazing products. We do these things because we need to, and our promise to you is that we only capture the minimum amount of information we need to get the job done.
We want to be honest and open about what we collect and how we use your private data not just because it's the law to do so, but because being honest and transparent is one of our key values, and we really hold ourselves to a very high standard.
- What data we collect
- How we collect your data
- How we use your data
- How we store your data
- Direct marketing
- What your data protection rights are
- What cookies are
- What types of cookies we use
- How to manage your cookies
- Some notes about privacy policies of other websites
- How to contact us
- What to do if you are still not satisfied
So, tell me: what data do you collect from me?
It's good that you ask this question! In the process of using this website, Gassy Cat collects the following data from you:
- The way you use our website such as which pages you visit;
- Information provided by your web browser, such as browser type, operating system, language, the address of the website from where you arrived;
- Other potentially personally identifying information such as your IP address;
- Information that can be derived from the above information, such as a your rough geographic location.
When you create an account with us, place an order with us, or interact with us in any other way (including sending us messages), Gassy Cat may also collect the following data:
- Your personal contact details such as your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
- Your company details, if applicable, including company registration numbers;
- Any questions, remarks or attachments that you send to us;
- Information required for our accounting, such as your order history, payment history, invoices, and credit notes.
Oh okay, and how do you collect my data?
Actually, most of the data that Gassy Cat collects - especially the personally identifying data - has come from what you have provided to us yourself.
We collect and process your data when you:
- Register online, or place an order for any of our products or services;
- Voluntarily complete a customer survey, or provide feedback on any of our message boards or via e-mail;
- When you browse our website with cookies enabled in your browser;
- Through telephone contact, or other form of communication.
We also indirectly collect data in an anonymised form from Google Analytics.
We do not collect any personally identifying data from any external company, such as marketing databases or commercially available prospect databases.
How will you use my data?
Well, Gassy Cat uses your data so that we can:
- Process your order, and manage your account in the course of providing you access to the functionalities that are available to you as a registered customer;
- Perform market research with the aim of improving of the content and the technical quality of the website;
- Provide information to you via e-mail, phone, or other communication channels;
- To collect statistics about the way you use various parts of the website such that we may use the data for analysis of usage trends to evaluate and improve our website, products, services, marketing, and your overall experience;
- To be able to manage, and react to your questions and requests.
We will not directly share or sell your data to any other external company, but in the course of running this website some external companies may be able to automatically collect personally identifying data from you. These companies are:
When Owl & Bee® processes your order, Gassy Cat will need to send your personal data to external companies so that you can receive your order. These companies include:
- Our logistics partners, who you choose when you place your order (depending on availability in your country):
- Mondial Relay,
- Our payment brokers, who handle collecting the payment of your order and need some personal information to help us avoid fraudulent payments:
Note that our logistics partners may include subcontractors who will be involved in the delivery of your order, who may also have access to details such as your name, address, and telephone number. This is necessary to be able to successfully deliver your package.
Yeah okay, and how do you store my data?
Gassy Cat securely stores your data on our servers located in France provided by Alien Internet Services SRL (Belgium). Alien Internet Services does not process your data.
We perform periodical backups of this data, and store these offline in Belgium. The data is kept securely stored, and is protected by state of the art protections, including physical and non-physical access to the data.
Gassy Cat will only keep your personal data for a period of 5 years, and once that time has passed we will then delete your data.
By the way, this also means that if you don't use your account for that long, it will be automatically deleted, so if you come back after not visiting us for a very long time, not only will you need to recreate your account, but we'll be very sad because you stopped coming to visit us! :(
Are you going to start sending marketing to me?
That's all good, but what are my rights to protect my data?
Well, that's why we have this page! Gassy Cat would like to make sure you are completely aware of all of your data protection rights. Every visitor to our website is entitled to the following:
- The right to access
- You have the right to request Gassy Cat for copies of your personal data. You can get a full copy of everything we store from within your account page, under the heading Personal data (GDPR). Otherwise you can contact us to request an extract, but we may charge you a small fee to provide the data to you as it takes time for us to process the request.
- The right to rectification
- You have the right to request that Gassy Cat correct or update any information you believe is inaccurate. We prefer that you do this yourself through your account page though, as it's faster and allows you to accurately update your data. You also have the right to request Gassy Cat to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure
- You have the right to request that Gassy Cat erases your personal data, under certain conditions. Contact us if you want to do this. If you've placed an order with us, certain data must be retained for our accounting and legal obligations but we don't share this data unless legally obliged.
- The right to restrict processing
- You have the right to request that Gassy Cat restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions. However, since processing your data is usually necessary for us to be able to handle your orders, this may have the result of us needing to remove your account and erase your data.
- The right to object to processing
- You have the right to object to Gassy Cat processing your personal data, under certain conditions. Again however, since we need to process your data to handle your orders, it may also require the removal of your account and erasure of your data for us to comply with this request.
- The right to data portability
- You have the right to request that Gassy Cat transfer the data that we have collected to another organisation, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you wish to request the invocation one of these rights, the law requires us to respond to your request within a month, but we will certainly try to do so faster than that.
What about cookies?
Cookies are delicious - especially when they have nuts or chocolate chips in them! 🍪 :)
Oh, you're not talking about those kind of cookies are you? :(
Cookies are teeny tiny little text files placed on your computer with a special code inside, and when you access our website your browser sends them back to the website that created them. The codes inside these files are unique, so they can be used to identify your individual web browser when they get sent back to us for every page you visit.
When you visit our website, we send some cookies to your browser and your browser sends them back to us every time you visit a page on our website, which allows us to automatically collect some information about your visit.
For further information, visit AllAboutCookies.org (but keep in mind this is an external website, we are not affiliated with the people who operate this website, and it's not available in all languages).
- Keeping you signed in,
- Keeping the items in your shopping cart as you prepare to buy our amazing products,
- For us to monitor and therefore understanding how you use our website so we can make improvements in the future,
- To know when not to show that annoying "cookie warning bar" at the top of the page each time you click on something!
If they're not choc-chip, then what types of cookies are you using?
The boring digital kind. Sorry if that comes as a disappointment. 🥴
Actually, they can be classified into types of cookies, and to be clear we use these kind of cookies on our website:
- We use these cookies so that we recognise you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences. We use them to know what you have in your shopping cart, to keep you logged in, to remember what language or currency you have chosen, and so on. The website wouldn't work without these kind of cookies.
- We use these cookies to collect information about your visit to our website, the content you viewed, the links you followed and information about your browser, device, and your IP address. We shares some limited aspects of this data with third parties for marketing purposes. We may also share online data collected through cookies with our advertising partners (so we can see if our advertising is working). The downside of this means that when you visit another website, you may be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on our website.
As for the type of cookies you can eat, especially those yummy ones with nuts and choc-chips... well, let's just say many have been devoured as we've been busy building this website for you!
Hmm. How can I manage my cookies?
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, but you'll have to check how to do this yourself. The website we mentioned earlier has some information too, including how to remove cookies.
However, keep in mind what we said about those "functional" cookies, so if you disable cookies in your browser you will no longer be able to buy anything from our website, and the website may behave in a strange way for you. There is no way for us to be able to provide you with a cookie-free shopping experience as it would compromise the safety and security of your private data.
You know, all of this talk about cookies is making us hungry!
What about privacy policies of other websites?
We have no control and take no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third-party sites or services.
Gassy Cat keeps its privacy policies under regular review and places any updates on this web page.
How can I contact you?
Alternatively, you can email our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What can I do if I am still not satisfied?
We would be very sad to hear this, but if you want to report a complaint about us, or if you feel that Gassy Cat has not addressed your concern to your satisfaction, you may contact the Belgian Data Protection Authority.